Exhausted

I pass through security with my John Travolta smile, but I don’t care to be here.  I want to be home, asleep in a quiet house – not a noisy house and certainly not a house where my family lives a day shift life, while I work graves.

My own steps at work are quiet compared to the stomping of boys downstairs.  The bustle around me is a whisper instead of screaming quarrels at home.

I make the gate, scan my card and am thankful I’m only jump seating today, because I’m exhausted.

“Shut the door behind you,” I hear from the cockpit.  “You’ve got the plane today.”

————–

We’ve taken time away from the 100 Word Challenge this month to participate in Script Frenzy.  But as April wanes, I’m back at the 100 Word Challenge for Grown Ups ….I’m exhausted. Shut the door behind you….

You can read other entries HERE. … and check back next week as our student writers get back into the challenges, as well!

Post to Twitter

5 thoughts on “Exhausted

1. Splitting the prompt works well and is different – you’ll get a ticking off from Julia 🙂 but join the club. And giving a reason for why (s)he’s tired makes the prompt fit in so much better than just leaving it as a throwaway line.

2. I liked this very much.

John Travolta, famous for his love of flying!

It rings true. Too many pilots say they fly when they’re tired. Always an issue.

3. I don’t want to be travelling on that flight! Nicely told, the sense of expecting peace and being thrown back into the deep end comes across really well.